THE AMA APPROVED Mark Scheme
The South African Aerosol products will continue to be CFC free, but now will incorporate the commitment of the environment, the recycling mark on the product and monitoring of Aerosol recycling.
The AMA APPROVED Mark is a system developed by the Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association that is intended to provide consumers assurance of the functionality and safety of the aerosol products bearing the Mark. The use of the Mark is only granted by the AMA to its members who have pledged to conform with the rules of the AMA APPOVED Mark Scheme. The Mark Scheme is managed by the AMA APPROVED Mark Supervisory Board, which is empowered by the memorandum of incorporation of the AMA to take action against members that do not conform to the rules of the Scheme.
The AMA APPROVED Mark Scheme primarily deals with aerosol product format and to a lesser extent with formulation of the contents of the aerosol. The criteria for the Mark cover:
- Compliance with relevant sections of the Consumer Protection Act dealing with consumer safety and information
- Compliance with relevant sections of the National Road Traffic Act dealing with the transport of Dangerous Goods
- Compliance with relevant sections of the Legal Metrology Act dealing with accurate information on the quantity in the aerosol dispenser
- Compliance with the Regulations Regarding the Phasing-out and Management of Ozone-Depleting Substances and the Waste Classification and Management Regulations
- Conformance to the Sections of The AMA Code of Conduct dealing with:
- Compatibility of the formulation with the can and valve
- Filling of Aerosols
- Recall Procedure
- Disposal of Defective Aerosols
- Test Methods
- Packaging Specifications
Welcome to the home of the South African Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association.
The Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association of South Africa, (more commonly known as the AMA), is the voice of the South African Aerosol Industry. We act on behalf of the industry in a variety of issues such as legislation, education and setting of national standards.
Feel free to browse our site, where you will find lots of interesting and informative facts about aerosol products. You will also find useful data about the AMA, the companies operating in the South African aerosol industry, as well as some useful links offering a wealth of interesting and accurate facts for your school project, that book you want to write or merely to keep yourself enlightened on the familiar products that we all have come to love and appreciate over the years.
The Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association of South Africa (AMA) plays a number of important roles:
The Association is the “voice” of the South African Aerosol Industry and acts on behalf of the industry on a variety of issues, from legislation to the setting national standards.
A vital function of the Association is its interaction with other similar and relevant local and international organizations, Non Governmental Organisational (NGOs) etc.
By virtue of this extensive networking, it has access to international sources on a wide range of topics including, but limited to, global technical specifications, trends.